Sunday, July 30, 2006

What's in a Name?

My cousin in India recently had a baby boy... based on his raashi he needed a name beginning with 'bh' or 'dh'. Everyone was at a loss, so I thought I would help by searching the web for a nice, meaningful, euphonious name. But instead, I found yet another name that all Indian parents should blacklist: Bhooshit ("decorated"). Seriously people? I chalk this up there with Hardik ("heartfelt" or "full of love"... hehehe), and saakar-teti (pronounced 'sucker-te-tee') - the guju word for canteloupe.

This all reminds me of the last chapter in Freakonomics... Here are some historically recorded given names that have proven to do nothing for the carrier:
  • Winner
  • Loser
  • Temptress (after TemPEST Bledsoe)
  • OrangeJello (pronounced a-RON-zhello)
  • LemonJello (pronounced le-MON-zhello)
  • Shithead (pronounced shuh-TEED)
In retrospect, 'Seema' may not have been the wisest choice... unfortunately my parents weren't thinking like 13 year-old suburban runts when they named me.

2 Comments:

At 8/21/2006 2:36 PM, Blogger *~mad munky~* said...

i knew someone called bhooshit (seriously). he changed his name when he was a little older (not surprising)!

:o)

 
At 8/21/2006 2:36 PM, Blogger *~mad munky~* said...

i knew someone called bhooshit (seriously). he changed his name when he was a little older (not surprising)!

:o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home